Students have several opportunities for career exploration throughout their high school careers:
- A University of Wyoming admissions representative comes to our campus and presents the College Pathways presentation. The College Pathways presentation is designed to give our students an idea of what college is, why it is important, and how it can be accessible to them. The program features information on: The college admission process, Hathaway scholarships and other financial aid information, the benefits of post secondary education, identifying a major, college lingo, and choosing the right college.
- Students complete an interest inventory as part of counseling lessons given in the classroom. Various inventories such as Me3 or YouScience may be used depending upon the year.
- Seniors have the option of signing up for an Educational Internship or a Business Internship. They attend the internships during the school day, and receive credit for those classes. The students job shadow and learn about various career options.
- Juniors meet with counselors at the end of their junior year to discuss credits, future plans, and schedules for senior year.
- Juniors and Seniors are invited to attend the Post-College Planning Days Fair which occurs at DHS toward the end of September.
- Seniors meet with counselors throughout the school year to talk about Hathaway Scholarships, ACT testing options, Post High School Planning Days, Financial Aid Night, General scholarship and financial aid information, and FAFSA information. There is also a senior parent meeting scheduled during Fall Parent Teacher Conferences to provide parents with the same information. Additionally, a Financial Aid Night scheduled in November and a Financial Aid Director from a local community college provide information on financial aid and general scholarship information. 12th graders also have access to local scholarship information in the Spring.